Taking lessons on-line is the next best thing to in-person lessons. I offer fiddle, mandolin and guitar via Skype. The charge for Skype lessons is $50 per half-hour or $80 per hour. Payment is accepted by PayPal or credit card via PayPal. Ask about discounts for purchase of multiple lessons in advance.
For those unfamiliar with Skype here is a brief overview. Skype is a software program and internet-based service that allows you to make either video or audio “phone calls” to any other user with Skype running on their computer or mobile device (smartphone, tablet, etc.). The best thing about Skype is it is entirely free (not including any data charges from your internet service provider). Skype is available for Windows, MAC OS, Android, I-Phone OS, etc. Skype even has solutions for Smart TV’s.
To get started with Skype lessons contact me by email. email@example.com.
Certain technical requirements must be met in order to have a successful Skype lesson experience. Please check the items below and make sure you can meet these criteria.
1. Make sure you have a compatible device which has a webcam, microphone and speakers. These can be integrated to your PC or be an add-on like a USB camera, for instance. Also, tablet and smartphones work great.
2. You’ll need an internet connection. This can be DSL, cable internet or 4G or better service on a mobile device.
3. Next download and install Skype for your device, create an account and username. Go to: www.skype.com and follow the instructions provided. On your mobile device or smartphone you’ll find Skype in the Google Play or Apple stores, depending on your phone. It’s FREE!
4. Once you have Skype running locate me by searching through Skype. You can search by my username Charlie Walden. I’m the one with the little fiddlin’ possum icon. When you find me request to be added to my contacts.
5. Schedule a time for your first lesson via email. We can also discuss if you want to work on a particular tune or technique and I may send music or audio files in advance of the lesson if needed.
6. Make payment for the lesson 24 hours ahead of time via PayPal. You don’t need a PayPal account to do this. Credit cards are accepted, also. You can use one of the two buttons below. Select either 1/2 hour or one hour.
7. Be ready at the time of the lesson with instrument, your device on and Skype running. Of course, it’s good to have a quiet, well lit area where you won’t be disturbed. You might want to have a means for recording portions of the lesson, like a separate recorder or an audio recorder on your device. Also, I can make a video of the lesson and make available to you for nominal charge. Let me know if you want this extra service when we schedule the lesson.
8. If we have technical problems, such as slow connection, it might be necessary to reschedule. A little patience is sometimes needed to make this work the first time.